Mini Implants continue to gain popularity as a less expensive, less invasive and quicker option for replacement teeth – while still following the gold standard dental implant concept. Depending on your specific situation, you may be able to restore missing teeth using thinner and smaller implant version, called mini dental implants.
Mini dental implants are smaller in diameter than conventional implants, ranging in diameter size from 1.8mm to 2.9mm. They have been approved by the FDA for long-term use. Mini dental implants require less surgical intervention and are a fraction of the cost as traditional implants. Furthermore, whereas dental implants can be a lengthy treatment process, mini implants can typically be accomplished in a single office visit.
Don’t let the simplicity and advantages of mini dental implants fool you into thinking they are a less superior option. Mini Dental Implants (MDIs) can be used for single tooth replacement, multiple tooth replacement and full arch replacement and they still require careful, precise calculation and planning. MDIs display a proven, successful track record – a leading study revealed that over a 5-year period, out of 2,514 MDIs placed in 531 patients, 94.2% were successful.
Here is a breakdown of the pros of mini dental implants:
- No need for complex flap surgery or bone grafting. MDIs are smaller and do not need the amount of bone structure that a conventional implants needs. There are no sutures involved in a mini dental implant procedure.
- Shorter healing time. Mini implants do not require invasive surgery so the prosthetic tooth can be loaded within hours and the healing process is often reduced from months to days.
- Less Discomfort. There is less irritation and disturbance to the bone and tissue during MDI procedures; therefore you can expect minimal pain/discomfort.
- Comfortable. Mini implants do not slip or feel bulky like dentures can do.
- Prevents facial collapse. MDIs are still fixed to your jawbone similar to a tooth root. Therefore, it protects your facial structure from bone loss and premature aging.
- Affordable. Mini implants are a 1/3 the price of conventional dental implants on average.
With so many advantages, you may be ready to elect mini dental implants as your tooth replacement option. However, only a certified dental implants dentist can advise you on whether or not this is the right choice for you. There are certain situations where mini implants are not ideal. Replacing your smile and regaining your quality of life and confidence with replacement teeth is a major decision, so make sure you ask questions and explore your options to the fullest.